PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAAF Training Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 07:41
kerilee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is not a PC9 replacement program, it also has to cover the current basic phase. Both tenderers have offered a single, similar, high end type to cover from entry all the way through to graduation; neither offered a 2-aircraft solution (it was not a requirement). The simulators will be used for screening, not initial training. This is going to cost the taxpayers mucho grando to have Bloggs learn the absolute basics in a real airborne environment. I hate to think of the total cost over the next 25 years for each early scrubbed student as they walk out the gates, particularly since nearly half of the output are due to go to choppers. What ever happened to the Defence's mantra about downloading to more cost effective systems where possible and also our Government screaming about the budget deficit?

The Singaporeans at least use BAE's CT4s prior to their PC21s and the USAF/USN use Diamond D20s to get some air time prior to spending big bucks with their T6 systems. The Pommies have just, finally, chosen a 2 aircraft solution for their UKMFTS program.

The Kiwis have gone for all-through T6 training. I suspect that choice was more for morale purposes since their training aircraft will now be faster than most of their operational types.

But as others have commented, this program has been going on for eons, longer than the Caribou replacement..sorry LTAC...sorry Battlefield Airlift Aircraft program. And in saying that, one also has to remember that the ongoing 5428 team was also saddled with bulk external politics such as the need for all bidders to put forward a non-ADF airfield solution, not as an option but mandatory, for the basic training phase. And why just the Basic Phase?? I think many in Defence were hoping that requirement would go away when a certain Federal Independent Seat Member's vote was no longer needed approaching election time. I wonder how many $$ that folly cost the bidders to satisfy?