PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Six months on from Sept 11th
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2002, 23:37
JetMouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cricketer. .. .What I am saying is that once you are qualified you join the level of all the other professionally qualified pilots who have been through the torment that is the ATPL knowledge and the CPL/IR - however this is plainly NOT enough to get you a job – quite simply look at the CTC scheme (one of the few schools getting low hour pilots jobs) you have to go through a host of psychometric/personality tests before they will even consider you for their course (which only a small proportion pass according to the CTC) and that is after you have jumped through the CAA’s hoops.... .. .The prevailing attitude of the schools in the past (in my opinion) has been to get you in to do the course and then tell you you’re capable of flying commercially (which of course is technically correct) however they are not testing you to see if you have the characteristics for command (ultimately what the airlines are after).. .. .Which brings me back to my original point - of those 800 WWW referred to, even though they have the licence, how many will have or have been tested for, what the airlines are after in a pilot? (GAPAN is only one small part of that – and you’re right if you’ve done the IR then you’ve proved you can fly) but it seems it takes more than a (f)ATPL to get a job and that is being dictated by those employing...