PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you UAS?
Thread: Did you UAS?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2003, 06:05
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SUAS, mid 70s, Chipmunks then Bulldogs from Hamble. Summer camps at Leconfield, Swinderby and Wyton. Holiday detachments to all sorts of stations flying Gnats, Lightnings etc. Flew Tuesday to Saturday inclusive, wonderful p**s-ups in Town HQ in Bugle Street, Southampton every Saturday night. Hungover Sunday morning, cleared up Town HQ Sunday lunchtime, p**sed again by tea time. Re-arranged any essential academic work for a Monday so that I could fly rest of week. Spent 3-4 hrs on a Friday evening copying up a mates lecture notes for the week (my token sacrifice). Flew 100 hrs in first 2 years. Enforced reduction in flying (liver really suffered as a result!). On a University Cadetship had enough money not to have to work in the holidays. Managed a 2:2 to get the accelerated promotion and more dosh. Still flying FJ 27 years after graduation. Without a shadow of a doubt the greatest social life and cameraderie that I ever experienced whilst in uniform. Would I do it again? Yes please, starting tomorrow.

Just remember, nostalgia is not what it used to be in the good old days.