PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream to announce new jet Oct 14 2014
Old 14th Oct 2014, 15:19
tuna hp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just read the Aviation Week article. Interesting to learn that it does not use the G650 fuselage (8'6" width), but instead has a 7'11" width. I would love to learn more about how they came to that decision, especially when you have the other OEMs going in the opposite direction. Also the AW article isn't very clear on whether the new fuselage cross-section is circular or whether it has a more complex design like the G650, and how the wing varies between the G500, G600, and G650. Is it the same wing with the lower models simply being artificially limited to lower fuel capacity?

I'm also wondering what the max fuel capacity of the new planes is so I can compare that and their range versus other Gulfstreams and competitive aircraft to see relative fuel efficiency.

Its so hard to get good information and analysis when it comes to private jets. All the major sources seem to act as PR mouthpieces for the OEMs, quoting them and accepting their carefully crafted marketing communications as fact. For example the AW article I just read quoted the G450 and G550 ranges as 4,220nm and 6,000nm respectively, surely taking new data from Gulfstream that makes their new models seem like bigger upgrades, even though Gulfstream has been quoting those planes to have ranges of 4,350nm and 6,750nm for years. Uh hello journalist?! If Gulfstream is telling you now that their G550 only has 6,000nm range (to make it seem like the 6,200nm G600 is an upgrade) do you think you might ask them a followup question about why they have been advertising 6,750nm range for years?!