PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2014, 14:10
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Owain Glyndwer
He might have been unaware that the aircraft could be driven towards stall without any input from him, but why would he not be aware that maintaining up elevator for a prolonged period would drive the aircraft towards stall?
That is a vital question. I think it is a mix of not sufficient knowledge about general aerodynamic matters and missing energy awareness. In all our discussions there surfaced another obvious fact, that the normal documentation does not contribute to the knowledge level. The manuals are comparable to instruction manuals without comunicating the basic knowledge layer behind those instructions.
I do have no knowledge if the quality of the manuals for pilots, instructors and maintenance is part of the certification process, but there should be at least a minimum standard established for those documents and i would wish that this standard is above that one which it seems to be now.

The manuals i was used to in the military were gold compared to the dust of the AB manuals i could get my hands on.

Last edited by RetiredF4; 14th Oct 2014 at 14:27.