PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heard it all now!
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2014, 13:30
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me ask a contaminated runway technique question, just 'cause I do not know the answer: Assuming worst case, where you're knowingly landing your jet into a one inch deep pool of water on the runway, you're better to thump it on, and splash it through the puddle, rather than greasing it on, and hydroplaning a bit?

If you thump it on, you'll momentarily increase the apparent tire pressure, and thereby cut through the pool of water, but the effect of that will stop when the vertical landing forces cease, and you're back to the normal pressure tires tires climbing back up to hydroplane a short time later. There was not much stopping from braking effect happening at the moment of contact anyway (I hope!).

If you grease it on to the top of the pool of water, yes, you will be hydroplaning, but the plane is still flying to some degree too, and the flight controls will all still have their normal effect in controlling the plane as it slows. By the time the brakes will be effective anyway, the plane will be in firm contact with the runway, albeit further down the runway.

I see maintaining an accurate and precise approach speed, and good touchdown point, as being vital to a safe contaminated runway landing, but is the "firmness" of first contact with the runway as important one way of the other?