PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From LAA to CofA
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2014, 10:05
Steevo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From LAA to CofA

Hi All,

First of all, I know there are loads of threads on running costs, maintenance costs etc but I am hoping for some slightly different information out of this one.

I am currently on my third year of owning a permit aircraft. So far it has been a relatively pleasant and pain free experience. Last week I flew a Cessna for the first time since I completed my training and it really brought back my love of a bigger and sturdier aircraft. It really got me thinking that maybe it is time to upgrade to something a bit bigger. My thinking is a 172 which I have about 20 hours on (about 100 hours on a 152) but this was a few years ago.

What I am out of date with is the rules and regulations of owning a CofA aircraft as opposed to permit. Mainly what I am allowed to do myself maintenance wise and the difference in annual costs. I am not worried about storage, fuel and insurance costs, just what I would expect the difference to be in the annual running costs just to keep the plane flying.

At present I do all my own maintenance and a permit renewal is just under £300 per annum.

I was just wondering what I would expect if I went to CofA. Someone mentioned there is a 'private category' where engine overhaul time can be extended and some work can be done by the owner.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me on what I should expect to pay in necessary costs and what I am able to do myself if I purchased a Cessna 172. I would be looking at spending around the £30k maybe upto £40k for my purchase. I realise maintenance costs can be 'how long is a piece of string' but I am just looking for a baseline to judge whether it would be something I could possibly afford.

Many thanks in advance.