PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dangers of helmet mounted cameras
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2014, 05:37
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the risk of wearing a go pro is minimal, question to you all then if Schumacher had not ben wearing a helmet what would have happened irrespective of a go pro?
Plenty of pictures of schu skiing without a helmet so it may be the car he was wearing it purely to mount the camera

I worked on the first ever TV program where body cameras were worn for a documentary series. They were in chest pockets with a tape recorder worn in a bum bag. That was 20 years ago!

But I haven't heard of an injury from body/helmet cameras apart from some conjecture regarding Richard Hammonds jet car crash where the accident report mentions his helmet could have been damaged by the clamp on the roll bar.

However! go pros are everywhere, maybe 7 million being sold since 2012?

One must be prudent if attaching (modifying?) anything to a helmet so as to still be insured if something does go pear shaped.
No question they are great tools for telling the story of emergency services.

All I'm saying' is make sure you are still insured when wearing one and don't expect much advice from the industry.

"We’re a camera company first,” says Sony product manager Greg Herd. “GoPro is a mount company first that sourced to cameras.”
Here is the owner of Go Pro with a brace of go pros, I doubt if he has ever worried about what insurers think

"Over the past three years, the skydiving website Dropzone.com has documented at least 22 accidents, two of them fatal, attributable to the interference of a wearable camera with an essential piece of safety equipment."

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...Accidents.html

Mickjoebill

Last edited by mickjoebill; 14th Oct 2014 at 06:24.