PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankstown Airport – Desperately Sad
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2014, 03:02
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The $30 a day parking on the grass, hangarage fees etc are all I imagine calculated down to the square foot based on the present day valuation of the land, I cannot imagine what that would be but I wouldn't be surprised if it ran into a billion.

Deals can be done for hangarage I know, but 120K a year for a small hangar that might fit six cherokee's, if you can find one thats not full of carpets, furniture, tractors or cranes still runs to more than parking outside.

The commonwealth didn't pay a cent for the land but eventually charged through the FAC to park on it. Admittedly at a reduced rate.

They then leased but really sold it to the current owners for a couple of hundred Mil for the three airports, BK, CN, and Hoxton, which the new owners flogged off straight away for pretty much what they paid for the lot.

Probably most of that went in McBank management fees because BAL has some serious debt now even after flogging Hoxton.

Privatisation of our airports I believe can never be called as a success except for the interests of them that bought them.

It did nothing for the government because they haven't received a cent in tax since.

It hasn't been a success for the public, our airports rating very poorly around the world.

Its been a major disaster for the industry that uses them, captive to monopolies able to milk them of every cent they can.

I also believe that the corruption that has occurred with all the secondary airports make Eddie Obeid look like a saint.