PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can any other country do this?
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2014, 21:55
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Hangarshuffle - I wonder if the lack of coverage is due to several issues.
Purely air-based campaigns can be difficult for media organisations to cover - especially TV broadcasters.
In the case of fast jet operations, they are entirely dependent on the air-force concerned releasing either Go-Pro footage from inside the cockpit (aka the excellent shots being shown here in Oz of the Super Hornet drivers flying) on board recordings of weapons hitting targets (which CDF Mark Binskin has specifically said the RAAF will not be releasing "it's not a video game; people are dying" was his quote), or the odd shot of fast jets gassing up from a tanker.
Getting in on the ground to verify battle damage appears to be particularly difficult here, given that journalists venturing into IS held areas end up getting their heads cut off.
I also wonder whether the airstrikes are proving as effective as quickly as had been hoped - even though the public had been warned this will be a long hard slog - there seems to have been very little public discussion of any progress made at all.
In short - there appears very little new material being released on a day to day basis.
So from an Editors point of view, it simply slips down the running order...
That's not to say I don't agree with previous posters that we should be in there killing IS.
Mrs T works in the media biz.
She showed me a shocking video last night of a row of innocent little kids, sat down in a row as if they were sitting on a school mat... before some IS pieces of sh!t shot them all in the back of the head.
You won't see that on your nightly news.
I had tears in my eyes.