PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Instruments Vs Car Instruments and readability
Old 13th Oct 2014, 20:56
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument panel set at 90 degrees so the pilot is looking at the gauges at a 30 - 45 degree angle

I have genuinely never found this a problem. If they were tilted up a bit I wouldn't complain but I don't see an issue with it now. I would say that the eye line to the main instruments tends to be less than 30-45 degrees in most aircraft (although I am not the tallest)

The ASI is to the left extreme of the pilot

Calling it the extreme left makes it sound like it is way out of view, in fact it is right beside the instrument that (when flying on instruments) you concentrate on the most.

The altimeter is always difficult to read with its three overlapping white colored pointers

This is true, and while you do get used to it I believe it is universally recognised to be an issue. In most aircraft that will often be flying higher than 10,000' they have different altimeters (drum type). In fact in one company I used to work for flying older aircraft for public transport, we had the older 3 point altimeters and had an exemption to fly with them, limited to operations below 10,000'.

The ASI reads from top right down to top left up again, at least the VSI is spared this fate, only indicating up and down.

Depends on the aircraft and as glass panels are becoming more and more common its normally a 'tape' display. I don't see any problem with where the pointer starts and stops, and frankly I always assumed (dangerous I know) that the slow speed was nearest the AI because you would want to focus more attention on airspeed during slow speed regimes, and having the pointer nearest the AI in that regime makes sense to me.

The RPM gauge is to the extreme right of the cockpit our lower down in the panel
The panels seem excessively high in some aircraft

Again this is aircraft dependent but it tends to be further than other instruments because it is less important. Once you have set the pitch and power for a phase of flight it only needs to occasional glance, therefore the more important instruments are better positioned.