PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2014, 20:49
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
static stability? huh?

I think I get what the "report" was getting at, but I also think it does not apply in direct law.

With gee and pitch rate components of the other laws, the jet is basically "neutral" for speed stability ( no "trimmed" airspeed as we old farts remember). So slowing up does not lower the nose as we were used to. And the converse for application of power regardless of engine mounting - you won't climb to maintain the "trimmed" speed ( actually AoA).

But this is the first I have seen for the jet not having positive static stability. I mean basic aerodynamic stability, unfettered by computers using rate and gee and air data sensors. My trusty Viper was no kidding statically unstable until above 0.9 M. We also did not have the plethera of alternate modes and sub-alternate modes - it was gee and AoA protections only. But like the 'bus, we were neutral WRT speed stability. Sucker would hold the trimmed gee until it reached 27 degrees AoA ( remember, we could trim for a gee).

Need Mssr Palmer here, or someone else to try "direct law" and set the THS, then let go of the stick.

Last edited by gums; 14th Oct 2014 at 03:22. Reason: correction