PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 13th Oct 2014, 20:49
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
DB, I tiptoed at 'culture' back in March. http://www.pprune.org/8387541-post2743.html

I don't really want to press this particular 'cultural' line of thought at the moment, although this may well prompt further discussion.
When I do a duty at a different unit, during the brief I say to the crew that if I do something that is different than the other pilots or they aren't sure what I am doing, or have any other concern, please bring it up at the time.

I like to think that this firstly breaks the CRM ice and hopefully empowers them to question what this unknown pilot that has appeared on their doorstep is doing. It's ok for everyone to be CRM'd, but as much as we try to make the cockpit an 'open environment', to actually say something to or to question a pilots actions, especially in the cockpit with a totally unknown or even a very well known pilot, takes a lot when you're 'out of the classroom'.

Back at the normal duty base, this train of thought still has to be maintained. The TFO's must feel that they can speak up when they feel something is different, unusual or not quite right. However, each unit is different in its 'culture' and there may be many reasons why TFO's may not feel they are in a position to challenge or question their pilot, their actions or any particular setting or situation that may develop in the cockpit.

My point, is that despite all the CRM training we complete, the classroom is a totally different place than the cockpit on a dark wet night, with an unfamiliar, familiar or overfamiliar crew with varying levels of confidence, security, arousal, situational awareness and cognitive abilities .

This is in no way directed at any particular unit or operation, but a general ramble of things CRM, out of the classroom that may or may not be relevant here.