PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 13th Oct 2014, 18:52
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to Basics: I admit I'm an old fart. I learnt to fly on old basic aircraft from GA singles & twins onto biz-jets and B732's. An excellent grounding: and every new pilot should have one.
I/we learnt to fly the a/c and use what ever very basic automation was available to achieve the task, plus motor skills. The basics of a G/round were to convert an approach (descent) into a G/A (climb); reduce the drag and accelerate. Now for a pilot who understands the a/c and its systems and capabilities that is not rocket science.
Over a few good many years I graduated onto these new whizz-bang VNAV LNAV beasts and found them a delight. But never forgot the old techniques. The FD & CDU are a tool; They are not my boss. If it helps then I'll use their information, but I'll decide. There is enough tertiary information to make that judgement, if you've been taught correctly.
Now, for a good (too) many years I've been teaching cadets to fly these even more modern whizz-bang thingies. Now they have SOP procedures coming out of every orifice. They do not understand how to manipulate the a/c, via hands, (FD), CDU or MCP to achieve the required task. They do not think, First? " what do want to achieve?" They first think, " what is the written SOP?" If they become confused due to pressure, loss of memory, panic, confusion, they do not have a basic understanding of 'what do I want to achieve, and how to accomplish it safely.'
If they did they could then operate the a/c within the confines of its design, achieve what is required and sort out the rest later on. As they catch up with the manoeuvre they can slot back into the SOP routine.
Todays teaching is not how to control the a/c in all modes and be in command of this race horse; it is how to operate according to SOP's and nothing else. It's trained monkey and a disaster waiting to happen.
On a good day SOP's will be fine and dandy. On a bad day you need full understanding of the beast you are riding. Pull the wrong reign and you are tipped off. Push the wrong heel at the wrong time and you are over the neck.
When will pilots be trained to control and command their beasts by basic knowledge? Sooner rather than smoking holes later.