PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin ATC. Nothing to see here, move along
Old 13th Oct 2014, 17:32
Jenna Talia

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Not only DN or TL

Landed one night at WLM rwy 30 while a C152 was conducting circuits. C152 was upwind having just completed a touch and go. Us: "Request backtrack to first taxiway on right" Rottweiler in the tower : "Negative. Roll out, take next taxiway right" (approx 500m), then having to taxi back parallel to full runway length followed by further holding for the C152 to land in order to cross the runway at the threshold.

A few nights later same scenario except no aircraft in the circuit and none inbound. Same Rottweiler. Requested back track after landing with the same response, so I ask: "just curious, is this constant denial for back tracks a local rule or SOPS?" About 30 seconds later comes the reply, "Only if operationally required"

Months later inbound at night from the south at 10 miles with CB's to the southeast broadcast on ATIS. Instructed to turn right onto a heading that would take us directly into the CB approx 8 miles away due to inbound Challenger 30 miles out (WTF?) Us: "Unable to accept right turns due to a cell at 8 miles" (that you yourself broadcast on the ATIS ), followed by this pearler of a question from her, "Which way is the cell moving?" (Oh FFS!) The best is yet to come; After advising we cannot answer her asinine question she instructs, "Make a RIGHT hand, 1 minute holding pattern." Us: "I say again, unable to accept right turns due to the storm cell." Reply, "Make a left hand holding pattern."

All of this over an aircraft 30 miles out

There are many other idiotic instances into and out of WLM over the years that I care to forget.

Mil ATC are nothing more than a joke and embarrassment.

Last edited by Jenna Talia; 13th Oct 2014 at 17:51.