PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2014, 13:29
JDA2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this interesting and indeed quite relevant to my particular situation (and perhaps those of others), because:

- Candidates are only allowed to apply three times anyway, so (having applied last year), two further opportunities would be all that I (and any previous applicant) would be allowed anyway.

- I chose to resit the team exercise and interview with OAA in June, after which I could not then take further resits or re-apply to OAA for 12 months. Happily this does not appear to apply to applications for the FPP.

- I am currently rather busy (studying for an OU degree), so I actually welcome the opportunity to defer until after the Christmas break, during which I (and others who may be busy with "life") can get the preparatory work for the application sorted in advance of applications actually opening. Think about why you want to fly, why with BA and what you can bring, as well as getting all of the fundamentals (employment history, qualifications etc.) in order.

- More time is always good! So far this year, in a bid to gain a greater understanding of BA as a a company and prospective employer, I've arranged a tour of the Heritage Collection and Waterside building, spent time observing BA operations and general movements at Gatwick and Heathrow, booked a flight on a BA 787 and visited five of the British Concordes (AA, AB, AC, ST, DN), as well as reading a great deal on BA, oneworld and their aircraft. Before attending selection for the next FPP I was hoping actually to take my 787 flight, and to visit London City and at least a further four Concordes (AD, AE, DG, FA - well aware I've passed the point of decreasing returns, but this has now become a genuine interest and a personal challenge to see them all), as well as having a go on BA's 737 simulator and the Concorde sim at Brooklands - I am grateful to have more time to organise these visits.

P.S. I'm well aware that there are other considerations, on which I am also working, but I will not be getting knocked back on a lack of BA-centric enthusiasm and/or knowledge again, that's for sure.

P.P.S. I have read back the above and am aware it may be taken as a little self-indulgent. Still, I hope it may help or give ideas to other potential candidates. Alternatively, it may be waffle, in which case I am sure I will be corrected if off down the wrong track and I am grateful for the feedback.

Looking for the silver lining

Last edited by JDA2012; 17th Apr 2015 at 15:51.