PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dublin: 2 x RYR in contact during taxi. Both damaged.
Old 13th Oct 2014, 13:09
deptrai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And as I said before a few extra square meters of concrete would solve most problems.
Agreed. However most airport authorities face budget and zoning constraints. Decades old airports grew "organically", and the original planners never envisioned the capacity the airports serve now. "A few" more square meters would help a lot, but it's not something I hold my breath for.

One thing not raised on this thread is that the stationary aircraft was actually holding short of the position that it was cleared to
from the 1st page:

I guess they shouldnt have held short so short...
yes, looking at the picture, the other a/c was holding well short, another hole in the swiss cheese...but unfortunately that doesn't fully absolve others from their responsibility to watch their wingtip clearance.

Ground based sensors without any weight or power constraints are probably easier to install
Ground based sensors would would most likely get hooked up to atc ground control, right? That's good, I'd like that too, yet pilots will still face the blame in many cases. So I'd prefer enhanced information directly to the flight deck, without another hop in between.

with a lot of time on my hands today, having a beer in the sauna, re-reading alum shufflers post:

we know DUB was dark and foggy at the time of this bump, and we also know that it can be very hard to see an aircraft [...]. Factor in ATC telling you to move forward and turn onto a side link [...] This happens to very experienced crews and newbs just as easily. DUB taxiways are a disastrous design and ATC can be quite stretched and rushed, giving excessively complex instructions and clearances that are inappropriate [..]
...I couldn't help thinking of the Tenerife Airport crash. Not quite the same, but ground ops, particularly runway incursions, can be just as risky as flying. Time to give the matter some attention...