PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dog is not best pleased with me today
Old 13th Oct 2014, 10:20
cattletruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember catching a DC9 flight from Brisbane to Melbourne in the '80s and the pilot almost brought the plot.

It was during the aftermath of the pilots strike and we had a Frenchman driving. There was a low depression over Victoria and the overcast cloud extended several hundred kilometers out from YMML. We entered cloud at very high altitude and with the DC9's engines at idle and its beautiful gliding abilities we didn't stop seeing white for about an hour and a bit after which we fell out the bottom of the cloudbase with engines screaming and nose pointing up , I could even read the number plates of the cars below. We popped back down to just under the cloudbase for another 20 miles of skillful flying - it seemed the vertical stabiliser was carving up the cloudbase. We landed uneventfully.

I was the last pax to unboard and the cockpit door remained uncharacteristically shut. Another Captain had helped himself onboard and positioned himself in one of the seats near the cockpit door - he was in a fit of laughter. Unfortunately I had to get off the plane but would have loved to have heard that flying story at the bar.