PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow AW189
Thread: Bristow AW189
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2014, 17:53
jeepys

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
VSF,

Am I right in assuming you have seen the SAR 139's up close?

The seats in the 189 pic will not be the seats used for SAR. These are standard O&G pax seats but you already knew that I am sure.
The seats that will most likely be used are the troop seat which are of smaller design, fold up, and you could have a bank of four along the front bulk head, but I am sure you have already thought that one through. You could then have a further two troop seats in the other corners either side of where the tunnel will be through to the boot giving a total of 6 seats in the back, but I am telling you what you already know I guess?

As for total reliance on electronic mapping systems I did not say this is what should be done and I agree only perhaps the fool hardy would do so but with flight mapping systems as good as they are now do you really need to take dozens of charts with you?

I guess you have used a recent electronic flight mapping system displayed on large screen with all CAA and OS maps. It's quick, easy and effective? Tap in the position and hey presto there it is. Eyes can remain outside at low level, situational awareness is improved and therefore a far safer operation, or are you one of the dinosaurs who cannot accept modernisation?

This is happening. You alone are not going to bring the 189 down. If you have not seen one of the SAR 139's up close then I suggest you try and have a look at one before moaning as to where you are going to keep all this kit.
You don't need a SK size helicopter to store all the SAR kit. Nice to have but not essential.