PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 12th Oct 2014, 16:57
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Capt Bloggs:

Having just re-read the AAIB report for the third time, I note on Page 62 it states:

"A section of the OM concerning emergencies after V1 stated that the PF should be responsible for radio communication when the PM was carrying out QRH drills. This division of tasks was not explicitly associated with any other procedure."

Perhaps it should?

dash 6:

In your posting #43 you are basically asking how us TRI/TREs are feeling now?

Let me give you a history lesson. In the old days, it was called the Base Check and Instrument Rating. The CAA required that you hand-flew all of the exercises (V1 Cut, NDB Hold, Engine-out ILS to minima, G/A, NPA which was usually an NDB followed by a Circling Approach to Land).

The only time that the autopilot was available was while you conducted a briefing and for obvious exercises like Cat II or Cat III.

The whole plot was changed with the introduction of JARs whereupon the automatics were available for every exercise except for one hand flown ILS and G/A with an engine out.

As a TRI/TRE I found this quite restricting in my ability to examine.

I always thought that the old CAA Base Check/IR was a bit like the Seven Labours of Hercules but the new regime, in my opinion, was far too lax and seemed to me to be a recipe for concealing weaknesses that could have been put right with proper instruction and further training.

Quite frankly, I find this incident extremely worrying and I find it extremely hard to believe. The whole bloody scenario was self-inflicted and got close to a disaster.

Somewhere, somehow the regulatory authorities have to get a grip on the situation. I still find it impossible to understand how AF447 happened nor do I even begin to understand how you can stuff a perfectly serviceable B777 into the seawall at SFO in CAVOK conditions.

You must understand that the TRI/TREs are hog-bound by the CAA/JAR/EASA into what they are allowed to do in teaching/examining.

How many of you out there could honestly tell me that you could pass an old-fashioned CAA Base Check/IR?

By the way, I actually think that LOFT when properly used is invaluable.