PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joint Service Recognition Journal
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2014, 15:58
nutnurse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, the Hawker P1067 as flown at Farnborough in the early 50s by every small boy's hero, Sdn Ldr Neville Duke DSO DFC, Chief Test Pilot of Hawker Aviation, not to be confused with the motor-cyclist Geoff Duke. He would start a supersonic run in a shallow dive overhead Woodley and pass over our house in Wokingham. On the Saturday, watching on TV, we would hear the double boom overhead, followed shortly by a repeat on the box. On the Sunday, my father and I would go to Farnborough and see the whole thing live.

We were there (I think that time on a Saturday as Himself had a meeting in Aldershot first) when John Derry's DH110 (Sea Vixen prototype) broke up in mid-air. The Old Man watched the tail boom spin down "like a sycamore leaf", as he put it, while my eyes were caught by the two engines arcing across the sky, one slightly higher than the other, and landing in the crowd - nowhere near where we were standing, fortunately.

It used to be possible for enterprising young 'Erberts to make a considerable sum of money picking up glass soft drinks bottles and returning them to the various stalls for the deposit. I can't say I ever saw somewhere so littered!