PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 12th Oct 2014, 12:10
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whichever way you slice it this is a poorly skilled Capt having a bad day out with an equally inadequate FO.

There is no way that a 13,000hr Capt with 1400 on type should be thinking "I should be doing something with my thumb..." during a go-around.

There may be many reasons for it but even fluffing an unfamiliar manoeuvre like a 2 engine g/a is no excuse for the litany of operational blunders that followed, nor for the FO to allow them to occur. This all smacks to me of both pilots operating in normal conditions at the limits of their ability and finding that one little upset overturns the whole shebang. I know, I've been there.

My company recognised some time ago - from flight safety reports - that the 2 engine g/a, esp from midway down the 'slope was the most cocked-up manoeuvre simply because it is (was) not practiced regularly, if at all, in the sim. A campaign was instigated to remedy that and afaik the problem was solved.

This incident seems to be a timely reminder to any of us with weak spots in our skills to take a good hard look at ourselves and ensure we get them patched up, and especially for FOs to ensure they have the confidence and skills to back up and support, and in extremis manage a floundering Captain.

It is also a wake-up call to training depts to look at all operational scenarios and ensure that sim training covers these thoroughly in addition to the box ticking.

I feel for the crew, even more for the pax exposed to them but feel sure that with sensitive management these two guys should return to the line much better equipped to do there jobs with confidence. I hope so.