PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Government funded flight training: the loan to nowhere
Old 12th Oct 2014, 11:04
Humbly Reserved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FEE HELP to the back of the que

Agreed, FEE HELP is clogging the market with countless fresh pilots

1) This has lowered the bar I believe as a lot more people who either don't have the stomach for GA after they finish, people with bad attitudes or people who shouldn't fly as opposed to before. (maybe ratios the same but the fact is there's more on the market)

2) I believe FEE HELP should be means and skills tested. Impose an aptitude test (with a maximum number of attempts) otherwise pay for your own training. I still remember seeing several students start a program who were illiterate and innumerate (I still don't know how they got a HSC) They really struggled and couldn't finish which made me feel bad for them.

3) From sources at UNSW and QLK, there is absolutely not truth to what the previous poster said maybe that's what they tell you at induction. But no newbies are making it in. I'm afraid industry progression has slowed drastically so don't expect a quick easy ride to an airline in AUS within the next couple years.