PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2014, 09:28
Judd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I care very much about this profession and I don't like the trends; been writing about them for about twenty five years now - spit in the wind, and I'm a pilot who I loves automation.
I have been an avid reader of aviation safety reports for years. So much can be learned from them and retained for future events. Having also been in the simulator training game also for many years I have discovered that many pilots undergoing type rating training or re-currency lack interest or the motivation to study the various flight safety hand-outs I offered them. These are incident, technical articles and accident reports very much applicable to the type they will be flying.
Understandably these pilots just wanted to get through the course with the minimum of study and hand-outs which were not part of the course for a type rating were seen by many of them as unnecessary. I recall talking to one pilot who told me he felt that old accidents were no help in passing the course and ticking the boxes.

There is no excuse for lazy pilots many of whom are happy to spend hours of their time on social media but who seemingly couldn't give a rats for technical information that should be a part of their professional lives. With the advent of Pprune there is a plethora of excellent information on every facet of incident and accident studies especially through the hundreds of links. Yet I very much doubt that lazy pilots study these reports even though they may be flying the specific aircraft type.

OK, this rant has probably nothing to do with the Air France A330 tragedy but believe me there are pilots out there who couldn't care less about their own professional development as long as their automatic pilot works as advertised.

Last edited by Judd; 12th Oct 2014 at 10:12.