PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dublin: 2 x RYR in contact during taxi. Both damaged.
Old 11th Oct 2014, 19:46
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys with tens of thousands of hours make cock ups too. Just look at the poor fella who botched a go around in NCL last year and ended up in MAN below final reserve. It could happen to anyone on the wrong day with the wrong mindset. To his misfortune, the occurrence is now reading material in this month's AAIB publication. However you'd probably rather discard this as a 'one off,' wishing that it was a low time upgrade partnered with some wet behind the ears SSTR.
Experience is one factor - a cursory glance of the incident at NCL does not show the experience of the FO.

Nothing wrong (in principle) with new (aka inexperienced) Captains given a rigorous training system etc. But I would suggest it's stacking the odds a bit if you roster a new Captain with a relatively inexperienced FO.

In short I would suggest total experience on the flight deck may be one of the holes in the swiss cheese in certain cases.

When I was a trainer with a leading charter airline I used to say that Captains were paid not to make mistakes; FOs were paid to make sure that Captains don't make mistakes.