PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 11th Oct 2014, 19:38
WIDN62

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
How sad to see the Turdis in such a dishevelled state. That's what comes of letting Airbridge Navigators use it to "ease springs" before heading off downtown to their 5 start hotel - hey Dougie? It was designed for the aircrew and groundcrew who had to spend the night on Q down at the airhead where the only alternative was the Sapper Crapper.

The Turdis was built by our groundcrew around April 1983. The blue light was from the taxiway and had been damaged by a passing Albert and had been replaced. Inside we had a standard RAF torch in the ceiling, a jerry can, stirrup pump and hose for flushing purposes. The business part was the bowl of a VC10 toilet. They found the part number and demanded one through official channels. Nobody asked why a Herc Det in the South Atlantic would want one of those, but they sent it.

I have a photo of the opening ceremony. The Brigadier from HQ BFFI did the official opening and signed the visitors book but declined to "perform" so it was left to OC Herc Det (me) to christen the facility.

The Turdis became famous and so popular that eventually we had to keep it locked to stop every airbridge passenger from using it before 12 hours in the back of Albert.

I have no idea how to post photos but have one or 2 from those times that might be of interest if anybody fancies doing the difficult bit for me.