PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need help for current research!
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2014, 19:33
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the extent that almost every civil aviation regulation is written in blood, you'll find a long and rich seam to mine here.

To put it another way, almost every regulation, maintenance and otherwise, that governs civil aviation was introduced after an accident or incident of some sort. You could start with each regulation and work back to the original reason it was brought in. When you get there, you'll probably find some dead bodies.

Sometimes it takes a major catastrophe to do this; TWA 800 is a case in point. The whole range of changes to procedures and training that sprang from SFAR 88 was brought about by that terrible accident. But there had been several fuel tank explosions before then. It took the horror of TWA 800 to get the regulators (and constructors) off their backsides.

It is only relatively recently that Safety Management has introduced the notion that you look for hazards and remove them before they cause the crash, rather than finding out what caused it after the event and regulating to prevent another one.

Date 12/Oct/14; Afterthought; I would hope that the near-disaster that was G-TCBC/MT 6107's go-around at Newcastle and diversion to Manchester will be analysed ruthlessly to discover why a perfectly competent Captain and F/O with a perfectly serviceable aircraft committed a series of errors that could have ended in a smoking hole. Human error is caused by human factors, and stress was clearly a factor. But not the only one, and I hope that the investigation triggers changes in regulations and procedures that would reduce the risk of it happening again. Because it could, if nothing is done; the only evidence needed for that assertion is that it did happen.

But with the UK CAA being in the dysfunctional state it's in, and with EASA being what it is, I will not be astonished if little or nothing positive comes out of that incident, in terms of improved aviation safety.

I realise that this was not a maintenance problem, and is thus off-thread. But I think it's pertinent to your study.

Last edited by Capot; 12th Oct 2014 at 17:52.