PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 11th Oct 2014, 19:13
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As was said in 'comments on the AV report article' the G/A was advised at a decent height. There was no rush. We are conditioned to making G/A's at minima with minimum height loss. Here was a case where there was no need to panic/rush. There was no need to minimise height loss; it could all be done in a leisurely manner. That involves a clear understanding of the manoeuvre and a good situational awareness. A G/A should not be a 'trained monkey' manoeuvre; there are variations on a theme and an alert pilot should feel able to adjust the basic manoeuvre to suit the scenario. The approach could have been continued to a lower height and then when ready, and communicated to the PM, a relaxed G/A initiated. Crews should feel relaxed about exercising judgement in such situations.
I feel simulator scenarios do not reflect enough 'real world' scenarios and thus there are 'real world training' opportunities missing. This is not the first such mess up, and perhaps not the last. I've seen even worse in the sim. "Go Round" called, power added and the a/c descended down the glide path because TOGA had not been pushed. The FD was still in Glide Slope. Ouch. Where was the motor action of raise the nose to a basic attitude to convert descent into a climb? Look through the FD.
Will the lessons be learned? Hopefully.