PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 11th Oct 2014, 18:28
lookoutbelow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big learning point I think that should be taken from this is that when a GA is required from well above minima and in good WX, it may well catch you by surprise, but there is no desperate rush, just a couple of seconds of thought can avoid a lot of heartache thereafter. Regular briefing and mental rehearsal can help greatly (as with the RTO). I do likewise for GPWS and Terrain escape Manoeuvres during which there will likely not be time to ponder! If WX is close to minima, briefing carefully the GA and required actions inc monitoring from the PM required - also a v short 'hot' brief covering the pertinent actions at say between 1000-500R I find is useful.

On approach, ensure thumb is guarding behind the GA switch, not beside the AT Disc button - guards against the motor slip of disconnecting the AT instead of pressing GA. If the AT is to be disconnected, move thumb from GA switch to AT disc switch - press twice - then back to guard the GA switch. Both pilots check GA/GA/GA/CMD
Every approach should be flown as a potential GA.

Know how to fly the aircraft manually and remember the approx datums (that the FD's/AT use during day to day Ops):

T/O & GA - initial 15deg nose up - TO/GA thrust 1.60 EPR (will do)
Accel - 10 deg nose up - 1.50 EPR (will do)
Clean level - 4-5 deg nose up - 1.18 EPR (will do)

If FD are not giving you what you expect, AP disc (as it was in this case), both FD's off, back on (V/S, HDG HOLD) then start again.

On my current operators 2 day recurrent check we are doing 2 or 3 two engine G/A's per crew. A good idea as a botched 757 GA has very nearly caused a hull loss before - see Icelandair incident (very informative read) - I would say approx 1/3 to 1/2 of the line crew are making 'sloppy' or occasionally worse errors with the manoeuvre. Worth covering..

Current B757/B767 TRE/TRI/Base Trainer