PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moorabbin to Tasmania - When / Best Route?
Old 11th Oct 2014, 11:30
megan

Received 398 Likes on 210 Posts
If you're not afraid of remote areas I always enjoyed the flight from Hobart down the east coast, around the south coast, up past Port Davey to Strahan. Denny King is long gone, but he was a most hospitable host at his tin mine at Melaleuca (dirt strip in the south west - Bathurst Harbour). Kept a most interesting visitors book. Would hope his home is being kept in some sort of presentable state.

With 15,000 hours flying Bass Strait the advice is, don't push the weather. Area forecasts are most unreliable and are to be taken with a very large pinch of salt. The micro meteorology of the area is unbelievable, mini frontal systems for example that don't appear on any forecast.

Edited to add: If the wind is blowing in Tas don't even think about it. Turbulence on the east side will have you wishing to be elsewhere. One Cessna driver had items in the baggage comp of his 172 disappear out through the upper rear windows. I had the experience of seeing an angle of bank past the vertical in a helo due turbulence.

Last edited by megan; 11th Oct 2014 at 11:48.