PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Short Haul EBA 2014
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2014, 01:02
ConfigFull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cloudsurfing thanks, I really hope there's some substance behind what this person is saying - all it takes is enough people to wake up to what's actually going on! QF management seem to be 10-15 years too late into the arena, look at how ANZ and BA have turned themselves around.

QDOM is the profit machine, need to grow (how with a loss of airframes???)
There's a lot of A320 orders on the books, wouldn't the A320/1neo be perfect for QF domestic - I think Airbus are quoting a 13% decrease in operating costs compared to current 737s? Imagine what that would do for the bottom line, not to mention putting pricing pressure on competitors.

the A320 on order, some marked to replace JQ aus leased airframes will be sold instead, i.e. a reduction of airframes in JQ aus
This seems like a good idea, anything to make JQ an actual LCC!

And the 717s - this really puzzled me at the time. When it started out, QF had a big surplus of pilots. QF own all the 717s (I believe) - so why weren't current crew offered 717 positions on SH-like conditions? Say 10% less? There are so many benefits from the company's point of view regarding lower rates of pay, annual leave, utilisation etc.

Of course, setting up their own AOC or adding the 717s to the current AOC takes time and Cobham did fit in there in pretty quick fashion but maybe a more long-term view would've been much more efficient for the actual owners of the aircraft! Not to mention some of the crew, maybe some of those 8-10,000hr FOs would've taken the opportunity to apply for a command, or commuters could've taken a spot closer to home. Can't have happy employees though can we.