PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford PPL training
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2014, 19:15
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. How often would you recommend I should fly (obviously I can only fly at the weekends because I am still at school but I would like to fly as much as possible)
I personally flew 3 times per week and sometimes 4.. Tuesday, Wed, Thurs and a Saturday - The circuit is really busy on the Weekends and we have helicopter traffic. Unfortunately at this time of the year you will lose a lot of days due to Bad Weather and 25 knot Winds - but you wont need to worry about that until you are on Navigation.

What people generally do is they book in 2 slots on the same day.. For example, 10am and 2pm.. if this is an option, check with your instructor.. So you could do this on Saturday and Sunday.

Take it slow and build up depending on how you feel. My instructor said to me that the first 25 hours are the hardest and once you have mastered the basic controls the next challenge will be navigation!

2.is there any uniform because I don't mind wearing uniforms like I see people with a stapleford jacket that I would like to get my hands on, so far I made a shirt with the stapleford logo and I fly in that but as the cold weather is upon us I need to know what I should wear.
The CPL Students are normally expected to be in Uniform. I would NOT worry about a "Uniform" for PPL and would always prioritise comfort and warmth as your first priority.. I used to rock up in Jogging Bottoms, Long Sleeve T-Shirt, Jeans, Jumper etc - COMFORT should be your priority with no restrictions to flying the airplane.

Some of the heaters in the Plane are a bit hit and miss so I wouldn't want you to freeze when there is a 35 knot wind and Gusty conditions!

3.what I need to take on board the plane such as maps, kneeboards etc
Don't worry about buying any equipment until your Instructor tells you that you are ready for Navigation. You will need the following:

1. Latest Edition Map - They update every 6 months.
2. Flight/Knee Board - (I use the A4 Pooleys FB-7)
3. Set of Permanent Marker Pens - Red, Blue, Black, Green
4. Ruler, Protractor, Diversion Ruler
5. CRP-1 or CRP-5 (Ebay)
4. Own Headset (If you don't already have one)
5. Flight Bag (or any suitable bag, if you don't already have one)
6. VFR Flight Pad (The photocopied VFR sheets given by SFC are crap!)

7. Pooleys VFR Flight Guide
(Strictly speaking not necessary until you have your PPL, as your instructor will give you a photocopy for your landaway at Lydd, Earls Cone etc that has the aerodrome approach plates)

Easiest thing to do is walk into Gerry's.. and ask for everything for Navigation. Pricey.. but convenient... You may be able to save some money if you source Pens from Staples/Asda, headset from Ebay, have a look on UKGA.COM.

4.am I aloud to make a video on a camera to keep for memory
Check with your Instructor. A video camera is probably the least of your priorities right now... but yes it would be nice from a learning perspective also I suppose..

Scoobster