PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2014, 19:04
Danny42C

Danny's Last Lap.

The last few weeks slipped by. I went round saying my goodbyes. The Station Commander (name esapes me) and I had a long chat. I think he was coming up for retirement, too: we agreed that the pension battle (againt the old principle of "immutability") had largely been won.

But even so, they would not be increased in line with inflation (RPI) until we reached 55, when the compounded increases from 50 would be put into effect - but no back payment of these increases ! As inflation was really getting into its stride between '72 and '76, the effect was almost to double my pension when I reached 55.

Now, in homage to Cliff RIP (the onlie begetter of this Thread), and following the way he started it, I will put myself back in my old favourite Spitfire. I've landed and taxied onto the line:

The Marshaller signals me to turn into whichever "slot" he wants me in; I creep forward until raised crossed arms signal "Stop". Throttle closed, hold wheelbrakes on while he scurries round with the chocks and gives me the "thumb up". Release brakes, push mixture full forward into Idle Cut-off. Engine dies at once, and that momentary last acrid gasp from the exhaust stacks bites my nostrils. Switches off; close both fuel taps; unlock harness and chute quick release boxes; check oxygen and radio 'off'; lock AH and DI (if I hadn't done it before); and lastly GROUND/FLIGHT to 'Ground'.

All is quiet, apart from the dying whine of the gyros in the panel, and some occasional clicking of the cooling stacks. The Bowser has come up now.

Disconnect oxygen tube and radio plug, shrug off harnesses, open side flap and climb out onto wing. Lift my chute out and jump down. One of my ground crew is waiting: "Any snags, sir ?"...."No, it's fine, Jim" (broad grin).

I sling my chute over my shoulder and walk off. I shall not pass this way again.

There is no one in the Flight Office, the Authorisation Book lies open on Flight Commander's desk. "DCO" and initial. That's it.

Goodnight, chaps.

Danny42C.

All Good Things Must Come to an End.

(But we've not gone yet !)