PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Road tow for Mini-max
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2014, 18:27
SlipSlider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW and bearing in mind it was some years ago so the regs may have changed, I have towed on their own undercarriage at least three different Evans VP1s and one VP2, on several occasions the longest distance being just under 50 miles of A-road and motorway. The Evans was actually designed to cope with that, as were some other 'gems' of the time such as the Fred. For the longest journey, which was with a VP1, the wings were aligned alongside the fuselage in a cradle, a towing-bar attached on a frame to the tail-end, and a trailer bar with brake-lights etc attached to the prop. On the motorway, in the pouring rain, a police motor cyclist pulled up alongside the airplane, had a real good look, then pulled up alongside me ..... smiled and nodded ...... and sped off, to my immense relief.

However, I would really not recommend it nowadays. I've assisted in moving by road a few aircraft recently using a van, horsebox, and open trailer as appropriate to the size of aircraft. It's certainly much easier on the nerves, as well as safer for the aeroplane itself.