PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford PPL training
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2014, 16:06
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam,

I have just finished my PPL out of Stapleford and can give you an insight into the School and some of the advice that was given to me by my Instructor. SFC was the second training provider and I had transferred to after doing the first 6 hours out of The Pilot Centre in Denham - who by the way are nothing short of Excellent. But that doesn't help you!

I live in East London and therefore the closest, most established school around is SFC. They have lots of Cessna's dotting around and plenty of Warrior's also. The aircraft themselves did have me a little worried at times but nothing major and from a "maintenance" perspective all of the features critical to flight safety are maintained. In my time, I experienced a door popping open during the "take off roll" but we continued the climb out because it was safe to do so and simply closed the door!

Once into the circuit during "Touch & Go's".. I experienced a Flap Retraction Failure - 30 degrees and noticed it before my Instructor who promptly took control.

You will quickly find your favourite aircraft and one which doesn't have a loose door hinge, or a crappy radio.. but the main thing is the aircraft are well maintained but look like they have been made from scrap metal!

I chose to "Pay as I fly" and paid by Credit Card to give me extra protection and so to speak until "I trusted the School"... Remember YOU are the Customer! I don't expect the School to go bust suddenly but you can never be too careful!

My Instructor was the one of the Most Senior Instructor's employed by SFC and also teaches CPL therefore you can "back seat". As a PPL you have nothing to measure your performance against... so sitting in the backseat of a CPL and seeing them mess up a Rate 1 turn or identify the town of Tunbridge Wells as Ashford did wonders for my confidence!

In other words it will help to build up your awareness and confidence and also make friends with the CPL students.

STICK TO ONE INSTRUCTOR ONLY OR AT A PUSH 2 INSTRUCTORS.

Around 35 hours in my Instructor started getting busy with CPL students so I shifted to another Instructor to "finish me off" so to speak.. Happy in the comfort and knowing that the second instructor was also trained by my Instructor as an FI.
§
SFC Instructor's will always give priority to CPL students so you will find your slot gets bumped or cancelled and most things are done by text. For example, you are booked in for a 12pm Slot and you receive a text in the morning asking you to come in at 10am or 1pm.

Dr Peter Orton is onsite on Sunday at SFC .. the office next to Gerran Aviation Supplies...so pop in and see him and say hello. He is an excellent AME and has helped me with a couple of challenges I faced with the CAA.

The clubhouse is nice and can be used to sit around and get friendly with your Instructor... Buy them a Coffee and have a chat on a bad weather day to answer any questions!

DO THE PRE-WORK AT HOME. MENTALLY FLY THE EXERCISE.

Also be prepared to get Bollocked. This may come as your instructor "Nagging" at you but the good instructors are the one's you will say "I am only nagging because I want you to do well"..

Happy to answer any other specific questions.

Scoobster