PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2014, 19:56
Ernest Lanc's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI-BUD

No airline will take Blackpool on. BB have tried to get airlines, and none would come.

It's the perceived catchment area, I have been one of the most optimistic of posters on the Blackpool thread.

The airport will revert to being a GA airport and any thoughts of Easy or Monarch are just dreams. It won't happen.

BB have lost money every year - I reckon Jet2 had to good a deal, then had they not have - They would have left.

The ADF made little difference - it was spent on the airport one way or another, but did not generate enough income.

Blackpool had three major problems - They are backed by the sea, so no catchment behind them. Reaching out - They have to share the catchment with MAN and Liverpool - This is probably why BB could not persuade other airlines to come to Blackpool at even good terms.

Looking back and the talk of BB just wanting land to build houses on - IMO is rubbish. IMO they have done their best to get airlines into Blackpool, Balkan Airlines did not work, neither did that airline to so called Paris.

Jet2 tries Cities like Amsterdam and Prague - Did not work.

I forget the name of the domestic airline that tried to link Blackpool with other UK towns/cities. Did not work.

The only think Blackpool had, was outgoing to sunshine routes - other than that - nothing.

Nobody's fault - In the end lack of inbound traffic and Manchester and Liverpool competing for the same PAX, put all but Jet2 off.

BB knew this and no way would they carry only losing money every year, with no end in sight.

Blackpool as a commercial airport is finished, it's can make a profit as a GA and helicopters.

If I am wrong good - I doubt that very much.