PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dublin: 2 x RYR in contact during taxi. Both damaged.
Old 9th Oct 2014, 11:55
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CONTRIBUTORY FACTOR #1 in series of 94,000.

One of the most difficult parts of any flight I did over 42 years, in seat 0A or 0B, was finding my way to/from the runway from/to the parking stand.

Despite all the ICAO waffle about standard airfield markings, this is still one of the most inadequately managed resources for aircrew to navigate around airfields.

My dream is to take one of those individuals responsible for such signage on a very early morning or late night trip, when they are fatigued in the thorough and scientific way beloved of airline scheduling/commercial departments.

Preferably in limited visibility, or wet or snowy conditions, so the ground markings are impossible to discern and with a time limit on THEIR perception of where the aircraft is and where it's going, maybe the designers and executors of this pathetic system may appreciate the many shortcomings of their cleverly designed signage.

Then task them with going back to the office and doing something useful for their salary by improving on a system which has attracted criticism, most of it constructive but ultimately insufficient to attract attention and effort until post-accident.

Yes there have been suggestions of cockpit based displays which would make the task easier, but a cheaper (are you listening, management?) and more readily available option to ALL aircraft, regardless of type and sophistication, must be a rapid and foolproof revision to the existing specs for signage.

Is there anyone out there in the ICAO road signs office who would like to defend or comment on their record to date on this topic?

Meantime I'll pop up to the loft and try find my tin hat...............