PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverness Airspace Consultation
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2014, 08:53
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my knowledge the status of the airport LVP state would be limited to the CTR ie the airspace down to ground level ie the 5 by 10 mile block round the airport, access to the CTA's shouldn't be affected. And in other areas of Class D I have worked in such as Bristol and LBA you can still operate VFR in them when nothing is landing at the airfield. If they do try and limit you chirp it and they will be forced to change things.

The base limits for link to the routes north and west seem to be set with the old advisory route bases. I suspect these will be up for negotiation so you can get a bigger slot. The bases seem to have been chosen to fit in with the old limits which were based I think for above MSA and being able to contact Scottish for a radar service. And for the old advisory routes it was regional QNH. But as its now linked in with Inverness those bits will be INV QNH. For the 5200ft I can't see anything at that level IFR so I don't think you will get much objection to getting it increased to be honest. And there is that little traffic anyway I can't see it being a problem getting cleared up to what ever level you like virtually as soon as you depart in class D.

As for the no access to the great glen after the town you have 1500ft base going up to 2200ft base at lochend. Once your at Munlochy head SW until you at the Dual carriageway and then head for the corner or town at 1000ft-1500ft and there is nothing they can do to stop you getting to the great glen. That's airspace that currently they would try and over control you out of if there is anything even hinting that they would be on the Ils. And remember as well VFR is deemed separated from IFR so in theory running along the coast towards town feet wet not above 1000ft with something on the ILS should be possible in Class D.

In fact this Controlled airspace is going to be as much a beating stick to current ATC practises as it to VFR pilots there is huge chunks that I have had huge arguments about flying in VFR in with IFR inside 15 miles CTA-1 mostly. Which they can do absolutely nothing to stop you now going into, as now as your deemed separated if your in class G and the IFR is in class D even if you only have 500ft separation.

So to me this is a two ended stick, yes it limits you in certain bits of airspace the Black Isle for training area being one for certain exercises. But it actually opens up airspace below the bases which currently they try and exclude you from, and get pretty ****ty and blackmaily about when you refuse to play their game. So for what I would fly in the area the class D would be less bollocks than the current situation.

In fact in the works machine I would be more restricted and have to change more than I would in a SEP, I would normally be at 1500ft doing 220knts aiming for just west for the smoke stack on a visual for 05 from the north and the same at the radio mast/Cromarty Gap now I wouldn't be able to go below 2400ft.

So draw up two lists instead of just one negative. Do a positive list as well and then look at your negative lists and see if with your reply to the consultation you might get a compromise with a 1000ft raise in the base in certain areas which I think you will be limited to the class E+ stuff because I can see why they need those bases in class D to conform to pan-ops compliant arrival procedures.

For once I see more good than bad in this application for CAS mainly because it limits over controlling of VFR traffic in class G from a 25 mile radius circle round the airport to a block 10 by 5 miles.