PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tesco's new G550 Registration
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2014, 18:43
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be very odd that with 4 aircraft (well 3 I assume the old G5 has gone) based at Luton they would use NetJets to fly around
I understand that the entire flight department has been shut down.

This sort of thing has happened in the US quite a bit, a new CEO wanting to make a good impression with the stockholders and board of directors, shuts down the company flight department, throws everybody out of work and sells the aircraft.

Then the next day, so to say, a fractional ownership aircraft, such as Net Jets, shows up and picks up the schedule that was to be flown by the company flight department. In most, if not all cases, the cost of using the fractional aircraft will exceed the cost of their old flight department.

But that doesn't matter, as the new CEO can still point out to the stockholders and board of directors that the company does not own any aircraft.

Then a couple of years or so down the line, the company buys an aircraft, starts up a new flight department because that will be cheaper than using the fractional aircraft.

One year at an NBAA Convention I attended a seminar whose topic was 'Reasons for businesses to purchase and operate aircraft'. Over all the presentation was good and covered all the aspects of the subject. At the end they asked if anyone had any questions or comments. I did have a comment.

I said that there are three reasons why a company will or will not buy an aircraft, they are:

One, the CEO and the COO want an aircraft; they will get an aircraft.

Two, the CEO wants an aircraft, but the COO does not; the company will most likely get an aircraft.

Three, the CEO and the COO do not want an aircraft; they will not get an aircraft.

Basically it is that simple. However, anytime a new CEO takes over, all bets are off whether the company will keep the aircraft if they have any, or if they do not have any aircraft, they will get an aircraft.