PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leather flying jackets
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2014, 08:55
Unusual Attitude

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet again we have another dressing like a pilot / wearing a flashy watch bashing thread

The way I look at it is this, for most people flying at a weekend its a hobby, look at the way golfers, cyclists, bikers, fishermen, horsey folk etc etc all dress to do their hobbies....they are all instantly identifiable by what they are wearing and they spend a fortune on all the latest trendy / functional gear. They are showing pride and enthusiasm in their hobby.

Then look at your typical weekend pilot, a scruffy pair of jeans and a baggy jumper, yet if they decide to wear something remotely functional (flame retardant for example) they are branded as a 'poser'.

Gaining a PPL is a darn sight harder than buying a set of golf clubs so if someone wants to take pride in their achienvement by buying a big watch or a leather jacket then that's fine by me, indeed I think the whole GA mindset is utterly self destructive in this regard in that we have to play down everything we do despite then having to be bored to death listening to someone droning on about his round of golf, this fish they caught blah blah.
Is it any wonder that so few youngsters are showing any interest in GA nowadays when we ourselves downplay it constantly.

I don't personally care what someone wears to do their hobby flying, as long as they actually keep flying given that more and more GA airfields are closing every day and flying schools going out of business.

Personally in the winter I fly with an aircrew cold weather jacket, I do this for a few reasons:

1. It was designed for that very purpose and a lot of thought has gone into it, being breathable yet with an element of flame retardancey is rare to find in anything else.
2. Its warm and comfortable and very close fitting when flying a cramped single seater with no heater.
3. I got it free from Auntie Betty during my time instructing on her plastic motor gliders so why wouldn't I use it?

I am however at the point where I'm comforbale enough with myself not to give a hoot what others think around the club!!!