PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2014, 06:43
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
DozyWannabe
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think trim logic is set by stick demand, attitude and time, so as long as the stick was held forward while the trim wheel was rolled forward, I don't think you'd see a significant return to NU.
That logik would not work.
THS trim afaik is not driven by SS, but by elevator position.
The SS demands a load factor change or a loadfactor of 1 g if stick is in neutral position. The Computers transfer this demand to an elevator deflection. The THS trim then moves to zero out this elevator deflection to restore the full elevator authority in both nose up and nose down direction. As ever there will be limits when this action starts, but i have these not handy.

It would not be logical that the trim would start to move nose down when the elevator deflection is still in the nose up region, as was the case in AF447 for those moments when the crew made nose down inputs. Due to the increasing sinkrate the loadfactor was most times already below 1 g, therefore a small elevator change from full nose up elevator was enough to further decrease the loadfactor.

I really would like to hear from AB what kind of input / maneuver would have been necessary to get this aircraft safely out of this well developped stall. Then we would have hard facts instead of reliance on some individual sim experiments, which might behave differently and lead to wrong conclusions. AB must have done those tests as well, where are the results?

Last edited by RetiredF4; 8th Oct 2014 at 07:18.