PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blocked Eustachian Tube
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2014, 01:20
Captain Victor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sinus and otitis (ear block)

Hi guys,

On the last 8 years I've been flying Boeing 737 for Gol Brazilian airlines.

It has been chalenging to keep flying all those years due to somes issues on my Eustachian tube.

Every year I need to get some days out of duty because of sinus and otitis media.
So I take some antibiotics and corticoids to get better and continue flying.

Comparing my health with other crewman I believe that I suffer more from sinus and otitis than the average. (I have one to two cases per year).

Do you guys think I'm in the normal range?

Can someone give some tips or treatment?

I'm really open minded guy and have already tried a lot of different options of treatments like homeopathy, take some clarintin (loratadina), allergy vaccine, etc.

It seems that a simple cold on myself improves to sinus and afterwards to otitis due to pressurization change that I'm exposed all the time.

I also realized that always when I have a cold my Eustachian tube doesn't work well causing hurt and pain.

On the other hand, some pilots never feels that discomfort even if they have a cold.

I always have a hard time for take off and land even if I don't have a cold.

An important information is that I don't have continuing sinus, it's alergic. So an surgery is not the case. My xrays are fine.

Another important information is that I've inserted "PE tubes" a few years ago and it was fine. It helped me and last for 6 months. (I consider doing it again if necessary).

Does someone here has ever user a product called earpopper? It seems to work fine when your ET is blocked.