PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career change
Thread: Career change
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2014, 17:25
beethamwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career change

Right,

A bit of a moan you could say or possibly just a plea for help.

My interest in aviation stems back to when i was a child, like every child i guess we all wanted to be pilot's. My interest never waned and a day does not go by even to this day (im 24) where i do not partake in a flight on a flight simulator. The graphics on FS98 where terrifc ha!

The problem was around 2006 when the time came to make the career choices, just out of school with college approaching. It was either take the plunge and put my family in to all sorts of financial debt pursuing the pilot dream or keep the construction industry in the family and go for architecture. I did have an interest in architecture some what and have 2 degrees in the subject, both under graduate and a masters. But to actually practice it. Different story.

We have seminars regarding different elements within the industry and i literally switch off. My interest seems to diminish daily, and all i can think of is getting home and switching the simulator on.

My degree i suspect is useless in aviation, but what could i possibly do?

I know commercial flight is out of the window now and that is fine, i do not believe my GSCE grades would be enough to begin with anyway despite all being C and above.

I have thought about just going for my PPL and see where that takes me.

But the purpose of this thread and question would be, to anybody who has plenty of knowledge, where should i begin?

Staying within the UK is not essential, if anything i would relish the chance to go abroad.

Any help no matter how little would be appreciated. The smaller number of days i have to work within construction, the better.

Thank you.