PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spamcop
Thread: Spamcop
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2014, 16:35
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite so. The reporting bit still works as before, although the main offenders in the spam publishing business ignore Spamcop reports anyway.

When I first signed up for Spamcop, back in the dark ages, it was the address I gave to those people who demanded an e-mail address from me. If they spammed me, the spam got trapped and reported. It worked well enough that when I changed ISP for the first time, it became my only address for a while.

When my then new "primary" address started getting spammed badly, I set that up to forward to Spamcop too. That worked well. Filtered mail was forwarded from there to another (unpublished) address.

Now, if you write to the Spamcop address, there's a fairly high likelihood that the message will vanish without trace. Shucks, as they say. That's the bit that it's a nuisance to have "lost", because some of my oldest friends only have that address.

That "old primary" address now forwards to a Gmail address, which does the same filtering job (and does it well).

The addresses I use most nowadays (the Church and flying group ones) are with a very good provider whose spamfiltering is excellent. I check the spam every few days and delete or Spamcop as relevant.