PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bent Longranger on Mount Cook, Queensland today 7th Oct 2014
Old 7th Oct 2014, 14:21
Two_dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to get wound up. This is not a conspiracy theory, just my observations.
It's also worth pointing out the different perspective afforded by the photos in Post 1 and Post 4. They almost look like different sites.
Looks like the same rock, looks like the same helicopter, but looks like a different site. It's obviously just the perspective, but is quite confusing. Change the rock and you could believe they were two different sites.

I am just interested in the chain of events that resulted in what actually happened here. I am sure it will all be revealed during the coming investigation.

Was the heli further up the rock, blown over and slid down the rock? How much wind would it take to blow a 720 kg helicopter over? WHY would you land a helicopter here? How would you suffer (reported) critical injuries in a simple 1G static roll over event? Do helicopters remain relatively intact after a dynamic rollover event?

EDIT: Radio news report today talking with the Cooktown Mayor who was a passenger on the flight. Paraphrased, 'The helicopter was hovering over the rock as we attempted to board. A gust of wind blew the helicopter into the rock. The blades disintegrated on impact as they are designed to do.'

Last edited by Two_dogs; 7th Oct 2014 at 23:57. Reason: Further information has come to hand from the mouth of the horse