PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do I change flight school 37hrs into training?
Old 7th Oct 2014, 08:31
Corsican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pilot that thinks flying starts after PPL has doubt in his/her personal
aviation capabilities.
Hi WP

You may have interpreted what I was trying to say too literally or alternatively, I did not express myself clearly enough.

My point is that with a PPL, you have satisfied the minimum legal essentials to fly. The PPL examiner will decide whether the demonstrated minimum is sufficient to pass and if you achieved more than the minimum, it does not mean you get more than the basic PPL. I would be crazy and/or a danger to others if I thought I could do anything having obtained that piece of paper. For instance, I worked on crosswind landings during my PPL, but that does not mean that I considered myself all set to go the day after I passed my skills test for a full crosswind landing on a short wet grass runway that I've never been to with known windshear on certain approaches.

I need to know my limits (which means being totally honest with myself - I do not see that as doubt) but also develop my skills progressively by, amongst a variety of sources, talking to more experienced pilots, practising or doing advanced training/ratings etc etc. Unfortunately, I am not a natural born flyer, so I know I need to keep working at it to be better. Maybe I will see things differently later, but it seems the right approach for me now.

Actually, SSD and Step Turn expressed what I was trying to say much better.