PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin ATC. Nothing to see here, move along
Old 7th Oct 2014, 01:28
CaptainInsaneO

Location: You know where the Opera House is? Well....no where near there.
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts
There needs to be more weight added to civilian reports against military ATC.

This is an extract taken from the ATSB report:

"The ATSB is not satisfied that the DoD has adequately addressed the safety issues regarding the provision of refresher training to air traffic controllers for the scanning of green radar returns and in compromised separation recovery requirements and techniques. As a result, the ATSB has made formal recommendations to the DoD to take further safety action on these issues."

What's the bet that nothing's significant changes?

Operating into Townsville frequently for many years, I too brief TL ATC as a threat - I know it sounds ridiculous that we need to do this in Australia but unfortunately it is required. Knowing that this happens in Darwin too, I don't feel alone now.

What if the shoe was on the other foot - Imagine if ATC had to brief threats...then having to brief every aircraft coming into their CTA as a threat?

Often going into TL you just shake your head at ATC - because something always happens...not enough to warrant a report though, but enough to lower your confidence in their ability and heighten your alertness.

I've filed reports on occasion and I've seen very serious reports filed - with no improvements.

Professionals are supposed to take advice/critique and improve themselves or the system in which they operate - not take it as somebody trying to take their job (wtf?)

For me I find it safer operating in TL when ATC have closed for the night and it's a CTAF. It's a lot more efficient too. Yep - safer when they are not there!

I think what tends to happen with reports, is when there is constant and consistent need to report and there is no outcome to the reports, pilots stop reporting. There needs to be more weight added to these reports, then you will see more reports being filed and hopefully improvements will be made before the next serious incident. I'm just wondering which one will happen first

This is a serious problem.