PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2014, 23:20
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to see the old denizens of this thread at it again. And I welcome Mssr Palmer ( wish he was here years ago).

- Good posts, Retired. And I hope the bus drivers that took issue with me years ago about gee command versus pitch command note your post and Palmer's.

Viper "standby gains" were maybe a consideration by the 'bus folks in their design stage. We had a similar speed as the 'bus with gear up and something like 180 knots CAS with gear handle down.

- the gee command in the 'bus has a pitch attitude compensation, right? So neutral stick might be commanding other than 1 gee ( Nz), unlike our system ( simple and many less degraded modes and sub-modes). So maybe this function was in play, as the nose was fairly high all the way down. Thots Mssr Palmer?

- I agree with Winner about a simple degredation sequence. I would guess most 'bus drivers do not know all the stuff that continues and changes to stuff until they get to "direct" laws.

- I agree that the overspeed concern is not warranted. The jet design seems very good, witness the stall with no violent wing rock or shaking or.... So I feel it could easily get up to 0.9 or a bit above without a flutter problem or even aileron reversal ( spoilers a big help in that regime).