PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2014, 19:45
ScotsSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I passed through Lulea in Northern Sweden at the weekend and was struck by some similarities between it and PIK. One side of the airfield is effectively a Swedish Air Force base, the other civil with Pax, GA and a couple of biz jets. The airport does around a 1m pax a year served in the main by SAS & Norwegian running a shuttle service to Stockholm. There's a few bucket and spade flights during the summer and local commuter flights but that's about it. The terminal is small and functional with what looked like around 5-6 air bridge gates. We flew out yesterday and were the only flight (Norwegian) in a 3 hour period. The terminal was quiet and staff appeared to multitask. (Remember the Matthew Hudson days?). All in all it was a very pleasant experience - I'd love to know if it makes a profit year on year or whether it is subsidised by the profits of the larger Swedavia Airports such as Arlanda?

PS. Thoroughly enjoyed the Norwegian experience. Sending texts via Wifi at 25,000 ft was a strange experience. I kept looking round for the CC to tell me off!