PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerobatics in non aero aircraft.
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2003, 07:17
Spinnerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAKE UP FOOLS

A very good friend of mine who used to own a C-206, had the elevator trim tab break loose from the elevator whilst on a descent at 140 kts. Apparently unheard of at the time. This caused the elevator to oscillate up and down at full control deflection at a high frequency (imagine the G's). The pilot (of average male strength) was not able to physically control it, until the aircraft slowed down after he pulled out the throttle. The aircraft landed safely and was grounded pending a die test of all structural components, not fool proof of course, and $25,000 later it was back in the air.

Now the other pilot who flew the aircraft was aerobatic endorsed (and had done some competition flying), and it was rumoured that he was doing a bit in the said 206, and that was before the accident. All rumours of course and almost impossible to prove. But if true somebody else was almost killed by somebody doing aeros in the wrong aircraft.

It doesn't take much to stuff them up and over stress the aircraft. Doing aeros in a non rated aircraft should be a criminal offence with a jail term, that is how serious it is. When ever I hear of pilots doing this type of sh1t, I dob them in to who ever will listen.